Monday, July 1, 2013

Bentz FIRST Broken Bone

I knew when I found out I was having boys that our lives would be full of accidental injuries... 
Since I went 18 years without a broken bone or fracture (to my knowledge), I figured it would be a few years before I needed to take you to the emergency room...

On a typical Saturday you guys were running in and out of the house... Bentley was "upset" with Cash for whatever reason and decided to open the door furiously and in the process caught his toe nail..
It was bleeding and I could see the nail had been lifted up.. OUCH! I was comforted by my mom and Josh that he would lose the toe nail but also that this kind of thing happens and will happen again....

Two days later at the well child check-up, I mentioned it to the doctor hoping they could take the nail off since it was just hanging by a tiny piece of skin... She asked if I had taken him in for an x-ray and I said "no... he can bend it and is running around without complaints" (come on, I would KNOW if my kid had a broken bone...)
We had continued to have our normal routine and Bentz had no visible signs of  injury...
Hit the park, did some art, even finished the father's day gift... 
At this point I am just waiting for the nail to come off and trying to keep a band-aid on for protection
Even after your appointment when we received a referral for an x-ray I thought it was a little silly... 
WRONG! 
I got a call  a day later that Bentley indeed fractured his big toe. Across the top and down the middle... OUCH!
We were then referred to the pediatric bone docs office wayyyy out in Beaverton and I had to starve Bentz for 7 hours just in case they needed to do surgery! 
WHAT?!
 Now my kid has a broken toe and they may have to put him under anesthesia... 
Luckily they told me it would heal on its own and that in-fact his own son had probably broken his toe but never had an xray... kinda comforting ;c/
The Grandmother had driven us out and treated us to lunch since we were beyond hungry by the end of that appointment. The above is a picture Bentley took of himself.

Overall it was quite the experience to say the least... 
 I guess the moral of the story is you never know for SURE if you're injury free unless you have a very expensive machine capable of looking inside the body... 




No comments:

Post a Comment