Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011- How-to for next year!

WOO HOO! Turkey day has arrived! The average American eats over 4000 calories on Thanksgiving, insane! 
 This year your Dad and I were given the task of cooking THE turkey! I'm sure vegetarian Grandmother was happy to pass that one on to me ;c) Since we have yet to host a Thanksgiving I decided I should learn the ropes for next year! This blog will contain  MANY pictures of food and how to make the scrumptious dishes ;c)
#1 - TURKEY
I'll admit I was a bit worried when I found out we were in charge of the main dish. Your Dad told me not to worry... After Googling and talking to both mothers we figured out a game plan. Take turkey out the day before to thaw in cold water! Also, note to self  *the spare parts bag is tucked up near the neck and its extremely disgusting...Unfortunately Dad doesn't follow recipes...  SO the turkey herb/spices mixture and stuffing are a bit of a "secret"... Cook turkey in bag for 3 hours... DONE!
 
#2- Green Bean Casserole from Pioneer Woman
We had the vegetarian version ;c)
 #3 Candied Yams
Super simple but my FAVORITE Thanksgiving dish! I should make it more often... Cut yams, add 2 cubes butter,  a bowl of brown sugar and melt in oven ... Finally add marshmellows and YUM!
#4  Kid Friendly Broccoli with Velveeta & Ritz
Melt giant block of Velveeta, milk and cream with a bit of salt and pepper... (I am fully aware these measurements are extremely vague) Pour over chopped broccoli and add a bit of "punched" Ritz cracker ;c)
#5 Cornbread, Apple and Mushroom Stuffing! **Pioneer Woman**
I know this consists of veggie broth, rosemary, thyme, turmeric, salt, apples (cooked in wine with caramelized onion) , mushrooms, cornbread and other assorted dried breads...
  While Grandmother and I cooked, all of you males hung out in the living room watching football and Monster's Inc :c) Grandpa Jon played guitar, Uncle Maddox hid in the box was transported the trukey, Uncle Jack played with you and Daddy watched in astonishment...You are no longer babies, you are becoming little boys in jeans!  Cash & Bentley, know you are very very loved and no matter what you have your family forever!
Our feast was beyond AMAZING! Everything turned out wonderfully! I do not have pictures of the mashed potatoes or the gravies... Probably because mashed taters are easy and gravy is gross (haha)...However Grandmother's vegetarian gravy was pretty tasty... I regret not taking leftovers of that! 
As soon as we started to dive into our magnificent Thanksgiving day meal, the two of your decided to take the first nap of the day... Luckily the Grandmother was there to hold you while you fell asleep and we indulged in pure deliciousness!  Uncle Maddox had a turkey leg! When you woke up you both had a small portion of everything...and the two of you were part of the clean plate club ;c)
 We had a delightful time! I am so thankful for my loving family!  I love every single one of you that were able to make it and the many of you that were not able to come this year;c) Hopefully you can all join us next year! GOBBLE GOBBLE!

I love you Cash and Bentley, equally and more than anything!









No comments:

Post a Comment