Sunday, April 24, 2011

DRINK

Since recently discovering DIY (do it yourself) projects, I have become inspired! I saw this fabulous EAT sign and decided I wanted something similar for our big blank wall in the kitchen. 

Last post I mentioned needing a piece of wood... Luckily my step-dad is a collector and had just the perfect piece I needed! I also bought art supplies a few days ago for this project... Acrylic paints, brushes, mod podge, super glue... I also used a pencil, ruler, painters tape, graph paper and SUNSHINE!
Its obvious I painted each marked off square a different color... Oh, yes.. It is not an EAT sign... but a DRINK sign... ;c)

While I painted, the boys enjoyed the sun and warmth of our first glimpse of summer! 
After drying I lightly stroked a contrasting color (using the same 5 colors) over the top to create a worn look.. Then I stenciled some letters and taped them on...
Using black paint I dabbed the letters and removed the stencils... I applied crackle in hopes to give it an antique  look... BUT the paint dried and now it is just glossy.. Saves me for Mod Podge-ing it ;c)

I also have some shot glasses to glue around the border and need to create some sort of hanger-ma-bob thingy...


Although I may have spent more on supplies than it may have cost for a manufactured piece of art.. I am MUCH happier knowing I made this for our home ;c)

1 comment:

  1. that's awesome Bri! LOVE all the colors :) And yay for enjoying some sunshine with your boys while you were at it! :)

    PS - I've thought about that with various projects too...that just buying it would be as cheap or even cheaper...but it's awesome to CREATE. keep on sharing your projects!

    ReplyDelete