Friday, December 16, 2011

Raising Identical Twins

Cash Ryland & Bentley Jax,
Everyday I am  reminded that I have a spectacular set of identical twin boys that are as different as you are alike ;c) Since you are my only kiddos I sometimes forget how different my experience is raising you two, as opposed to a singleton mom...
First off, everything must be accomplished with one or no hands... Strength and balance are a MUST when carrying around two babes. When you both fall asleep in my arms I become a  puffed-out-chest weight lifter getting you to the bedroom...
Going anywhere is a challenge... especially ALONE. I either carry you both to the car and put you in one-handed while holding the other... or I set one of you in the front seat while I strap in the other... At this point you still run into streets and parking lots... I try to avoid taking you out by myself due to the high anxiety that overwhelms every inch of me...
When we are out in public it is nearly impossible to avoid being stopped by curious folks..Usually its quick which is fine... Although I am not particularly interested  in if twins run in their family or a long story about how they knew someone with twins (it gets old)... I'm always polite and you two are perfectly behaved to random people gawking over you...A smart twin mother knows to allow extra time when going anywhere...
At home everything must be done equally and at the same time as often as possible. By this I mean making juice cups, serving food or giving treats... I literally hand you both an unwrapped string cheese at the same moment... Its not that hard to do things twice...Oh and lucky for me about 90% of the time if one of you needs a diaper change, so does the other...haha
I know controversy arises over dressing twins the same. Although it does promote confusion when identifying who is who, I think identical twins should be the only siblings dressed the same...Thus I will continue to dress you identically until you start picking out your own clothes ;c) Plus it's freaking adorable!
I'm sure you are curious if your Dad and I ever confuse you... That would be a definite YES!  We can't help that you look the same and when you are not side-by-side or looking directly at us its easy to mix you up... When you were babies I had green & blue string bracelets to identify you if I was unsure...
How to tell you apart... Obviously you will be able to recognize your differences but to everyone else they are slight ;c) Cash you are a little bigger in your build and have a longer shape to your face with more hair at the moment. Bentley, besides the weight difference, your body language is your most obvious tell-tell sign. I would describe it as a waddle/run/ happy dance. If you are both looking and smiling you are individually unique... I wonder if you will continue to have differences or if you will look more alike in years to come...
It was not until recently that I learned some parents of multiples do not tell others the birth order in fear it will create a stigma of sorts... I personally do not think it matters, you were truly born within seconds of one another... Cash is obviously bigger... Personality wise, you trade the dominant role... Actually right now Bentz, you are kind of a bully... You need to quit biting and pinching little man...
The matter of buying two of everything... We do try to buy two of the same of most items... this is because you tend to want the same toy and the same time. It can get very expensive having twins... I wouldn't hold my breath for two cadillac power wheels anytime soon ;c) 
Separating you... This has happened twice and always feels awkward. Granted I can run in and out of a store without a stroller but it feels like i'm forgetting a kid haha.. I know its healthy and necessary to have individual time together... Its just not one of my favorite things to do... Plus you guys are like two peas in a pod...
Another challenge would be trying to hold you both (at the same time) all the time... You are getting a little big sons ;c)
I could write forever about how completely different raising multiples can be compared to singletons...  However all parenting involves constant learning and adapting to be the best possible teacher and to guide you to ultimate happiness.
Thank you Bentley and Cash for picking me to be your MOM!
**If you were wondering about the random Christmas light pictures... I was playing with the camera settings while you played with the lights last night....Obviously I need some work... haha


I love you equally and more than anything!

ps... My next project is to take new portrait pictures and eventually family pictures when your Dad has a day off haha

No comments:

Post a Comment